Sex Addiction And How To Be Totally Free
Sexual addiction is defined as the frequent pursuit of sexual activity, despite knowing its enormous negative consequences.
It comprises pornography, prostitution, voyeurism, masturbation, sexual fantasies, unhealthy flirting etc.
All forms of addiction is vicious. But sexual addiction seems to be one of the addictions that are difficult for one to be free from.
Many of our strong, anointed and well known believers have been clutched by this terrible habit.
To some, it has resulted in considerable difficulties in their relationship with God.
However, this article provides you with the signs and symptoms of sexual addiction, the effects, causes and solutions.
Signs And Symptoms Of Sexual Addiction
How Do You Know You Are A Sex Addict?
• Continuous participation in sexual behaviour despite negative consequences.
• Putting oneself and others in danger due to sex.
• Preoccupation with sexual thought.
You think so much about sex, even when you are in Church, praying to God.
Jesus talked about this in;
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
• Abdication of responsibilities due to sex.
A Sex addict may leave his/her job to meet up with someone he/she wants to have sex with.
• Unhealthy sexual activities with multiple partners, even strangers.
I have heard of a young lady who had sex with someone she just met on that day. And that lady wasn’t a prostitute.
• Feeling powerless over one’s sexual behaviour. After having sex, you feel powerless over your habit.
• Nobody has ever satisfied you sexually despite having sex with several partners
• Staying in an unhealthy relationship because of sex.
Although, your sex partner may beat you up often and abuse you. Yet, you stay in that relationship because of sex.
• Making a promise to change but finding it absolutely impossible to change.
After listening to a sermon, you shed tears and promise to change. But you still go back to what you don’t want to do.
• Inexplicable sexual urge to have sex with whoever is available.
• Seeking sexual pleasure outside your own marriage. Some people have multiple sex partners apart from their husband.
• Having a sense of guilt after sexual intercourse.
Good sex (in marriage) will give you a sense of love and pleasure. But bad sex (outside marriage) will give you a sense of guilt.
Read Also: Sex Addiction According To Scientists
Point: God’s Stance On Sex
Permit me to reiterate this basic truth of God’s Word; sex outside marriage is a sin.
Basically, God ordained sex to take place in marriage. Therefore, having sex when one hasn’t got married is a sin.
Also, after having sex with someone you are not married to is a sin.
Basically, it should be between a man and his wife who are legally joined together.
As a matter of fact, God intentionally created marriage in order for us to avoid fornication. To avoid fornication he said; ‘get married.’
1 Corinthians 7:1-2Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
So, when you are married. There is no sin in you enjoying sexual pleasure with your partner.
Paul said if you can’t hold yourself, get married (1 Cor 7:9).
He says to the married; don’t deprive each other of sexual pleasure except for prayers and fasting ( 1 Cor 6:5).
God’s Stance On Sexual Addiction
Addiction in sex is not biblical and it shows the presence of a problem in a believer’s life.
For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.
My friend, you can be helped by God. This article contains solutions to this nefarious habit. Read on!
Effects Of Sex Addiction
• A Sexually addicted person may end up having a Venereal disease. Diseases such as syphilis, gonorrhea, HIV/AIDS etc.
• Unwanted pregnancy:
A recent survey shows that nearly 70℅ of women with sex addiction.
They reported they had experienced at least one unwanted pregnancy as a result of their addiction.
• Depression: A sex addict can be depressed as he/she finds himself/herself in the same sin.
• Less productivity and decreased level of concentration
• Harm to oneself and one’s partner.
• Decrease in brain performance: People with sex addiction cannot think well. As they only think much about sex.
Causes of Sex Addiction
• Exposure to filthy pornographic content
In the early days on some people life, they were exposed to pornographic content.
Later on in life, they end up becoming a chronic sex addict.
• Importantly, Sexual abuse : A recent study has it that people who have once been abused sexually become addicted.
Parents should properly take good care of their children to hinder any form of sexual abuse.
More so, to avoid future sexual addiction.
• Genes: It has been observed that some people experience high rush of dopamine. Which triggers sexual pleasure in them.
The Biological makeup of some people is faulty as they inherited bad components from their parents. This is according to some biologists.
• Ungodly relationship: Having friends who watch pornography can trigger sexual behaviour in you.
If you have friends who actively engages in premature sex. You may be influenced.
For example, it was Jonadab who encouraged Amnon to rape his sister;
2 Samuel 13:3,5And Jonadab said unto him, Lay thee down on thy bed, and make thyself sick: and when thy father cometh to see thee, say unto him, I pray thee, let my sister Tamar come, and give me meat, and dress the meat in my sight, that I may see it, and eat it at her hand.
But Amnon had a friend, whose name was Jonadab, the son of Shimeah David’s brother: and Jonadab was a very subtil man.
Biblical Solutions To Sexual Addiction
• Identify sexual addiction as a sin
1 Corinthians 6:18
Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
Until you see sex addiction as a sin, you won’t channel all your discipline and prayers toward it’s extirpation.
Accept it as a sin and seek the way out.
• Accept Jesus into your life
Only Jesus, the son of God that can set you free. Nobody else can set you free.
If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.
Psychologist, social workers and Counselors may try to help you. But their help is not authentic.
So, accept Jesus Christ into your life and He will definitely set you free. Confess him as your Lord and savior now (Rom 10:10).
• Renew your mind
Romans 12:1-2And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Honestly, we are asked to present our bodies as holy sacrifice. How do we do that?
Frankly, by renewing our mind daily. By not allowing ourselves to be conformed to this world.
Addiction stems from the mind. So, you need to change the way you think and think on God’s Word.
Please, read this passage carefully and make sure you memorize it;
Hebrews 4:15-16For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the FEELING OF OUR INFIRMITIES; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore COME BOLDLY unto the throne of grace, that we may OBTAIN MERCY, and FIND GRACE TO HELP in time of need.
Pray to God to give you grace to overcome your sexual sin. Don’t condemn yourself.
Surely, God knows your struggles and your weaknesses. He’s only waiting upon you to ask Him for help.
Beloved, you can be free from that sexual addiction no matter how deep you have gone. Just pray to Him, and He’ll help you.
Do you have any struggle with sexual addiction? Please, let me know how I can be of help.
Has this article helped you? Have you been blessed? Let me know in the comment section below.